The Heritage Village of the Southern Finger Lakes began with the Benjamin Patterson Inn and continued to add buildings over the years. Explore our village...
1796 Benjamin Patterson Inn
The Painted Post Tavern was built in 1796. Benjamin Patterson and his wife, Sarah Patterson, were the first Innkeepers.
Tour the oldest existing tavern in the Lands of the Painted Post. The Williamson Road, now known as Route 15, along with the Chemung River was the frontier highway. These two routes of travel allowed people to come to this region to buy land from the Pulteney Estate.
The Pattersons welcomed the weary travelers with a place to sleep and a hot meal.
While here you will see:
• The Tap Room, visitors and guests socialized and
• The Dining Room where meals were served from the kitchen
• The Kitchen, with a working open hearth fireplace
• The Long Room, originally a meeting room or ballroom, now
houses our extensive collection of textile equipment
• The Guest Quarters, portrayed c1800, when you paid for bed
space, not a room
• The Patterson’s Quarters, where the Innkeepers family lived
1850s Wixon Log Cabin
Our cabin was built on a hill on Wixon Road in the town of Campbell, New York circa 1855.
Learn about the Mack family, who built and lived in the cabin.
Stand inside the cabin and feel how small the living space was for a growing family of five. Imagine the day to day hardships encountered as a rural subsistence farming family.
Look through a reproduction civil war “care package”, learn what a soldier wanted sent from home
Interactive Farming Exhibit
The barn skeleton was originally located near Canandaigua New York and dates to the early nineteenth century. The barn was relocated to our grounds in 1980 and was named after the family who made the relocation possible.
The barn houses an interactive exhibit perfect for all ages. It follows the year 1840-1841 in the diary of Timothy Meigs Younglove, a farmer in Pleasant Valley New York, near present day Hammondsport. The exhibit represents 1820-1870 when there were many agriculture technology advances.
Step into the barn and visit our "chickens, horse, and cow", collect eggs and "milk" the cow. Chop wood, try "cutting grain" with a scythe, see how well you can identify grain, lift a block of "ice" with ice tongs, and many more!
Post and Beam Wood Shed
This hand crafted shed began construction in 2012. It was built using the historic method of post and beam construction. Enter to see the beautifully made joints and pegs. Learn about these techniques and other construction methods inside. Using our model, try constructing a post and beam building.
This shop is located on the end of the Starr Barn. Formerly a small blacksmith shop, it now houses a Joiner's Shop, or Carpenter's Shop. The shop's transformation was completed in 2015.
The shop is supplied with tools from the collection of Jacob Dorn, who operated a shop in Phelps New York. The work benches date to the late nineteenth century.
1878 Browntown Schoolhouse
The Browntown Schoolhouse was built in nearby Caton, New York in 1878.
This one room schoolhouse was in use until 1955.
During this time, kindergarten through eighth grade was taught in the same room.
Today our schoolhouse is still holding classes for regional school field trips. The children enjoy learning their 3 R’s from NYS certified teachers and playing traditional recess games in the school yard.
1870s Cooley Blacksmith Shop
This circa 1870 farm blacksmith shop was originally located on the Cooley Road outside of Beaver Dams, NY where it served the local farming community for many years. The Blacksmith shop was operated by the Cooley family and located on their farm. The wooden firebox surround on the forge has the name Cooley carved into it. The shop was moved to our complex in 2009, the restoration process began soon afterward and was completed in 2010. The shop is used for a variety of activities, including school programs, special events, and blacksmith classes. Please click here for more information on the classes.
Painted Post - Erwin
Museum at the Depot
Experience an American Story. . . The History of Painted Post and Erwin.
Located in the restored Painted Post Depot, (277 Steuben Street Painted Post, NY ) the Painted Post-Erwin Museum interprets the history of the Village of Painted Post and the Town of Erwin through exhibits and programs.
Note the exhibit honoring former Painted Post native and Chairman of IBM, Thomas J. Watson ...click for details.
The Painted Post Depot was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad. It provided passenger and freight service in the Southern Tier. The pre-fabricated building was delivered on rail and erected on its current site in Painted Post in 1881-1882. The depot was used by the railroad until 1954. In 1991, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It has served as the Painted Post branch of the Corning-Painted Post Historical Society since 2000.
Heirloom Kitchen Garden and
The gardens are managed by our Heirloom Gardening Guild. The herbs in the herb garden are ones regularly used in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries for medicine, cooking, and use as dyes.
The kitchen garden is filled every year with a variety of vegetables utilizing historic techniques.
In the corner of the kitchen garden is an heirloom variety hops plant.
Hops are used in the production of beer.
Welcome Center and
This building was built in the 1830's.
Today it is the Welcome Center for the Heritage Village of Southern Finger Lakes, a general store gift shop, and houses the offices of the Corning Painted Post Historical Society
Purchase your tickets for a tour here, or shop in our general store for a variety of merchandise including local history books, handmade items from our blacksmithing, carpentry, and quilting guilds as well as other hand crafted items.