The Corning-Painted Post Historical Society

 

The Corning Painted Post Historical Society (CPPHS) was founded in 1947 "to collect local historical data, to diffuse the knowledge of local history, and to promote... the (1948) centenary of the incorporation of Corning as a village." It began immediately collecting information about the community's past.


In 1976, the Society acquired and restored as a Bicentennial project the dilapidated 1796 structure once known as the Painted Post Tavern. Located at 73 West Pulteney Street, Corning, it oversees today the Heritage Village of the Southern Finger Lakes which include the Benjamin Patterson Inn and other buildings moved to the site for restoration as the museum grew.

The CPPHS continues to collect local historical information and artifacts. Its place in the museum community is established, with living history programs reaching annually over 5,800 visitors.

Board of Directors:

Sean Lukasik - President
Alison Merkl- Vice President
Amy Irvine - Treasurer
Dr. Edward Franklin - Secretary
Trustees
Mary Bacalles
Kirsty Buchanan
Meredith Dessoye
Gautam Meda